Planning an Analysis Services Deployment
After you have completed the development of a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services (SSAS) project in Business Intelligence Development Studio and have deployed and tested the project in your development environment, you are ready to deploy the Analysis Services database to test and production servers.
When you deploy an Analysis Services project, you must consider the following questions:
- What hardware and software resources are required on the destination server?
- How will you deploy related objects that are outside the scope of the Analysis Services project, such as Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Integration Services (SSIS) packages, reports, or relational database schemas?
- How will you load and update the data in the deployed Analysis Services database?
- How will you update the metadata (such as calculations) in the deployed Analysis Services database?
- Do you want to give users access to Analysis Services data through the Internet?
- Do you want to provide continuous query access to Analysis Services data?
- Do you want to deploy objects in a distributed environment by using linked cubes or remote partitions?
- How will you secure the Analysis Services data?
This section will help you answer these questions by providing information about the planning and deployment of an Analysis Services project to test or production servers, and the use of a staging server as part of your deployment strategy. The topics in this section include the following:
- Requirements and Considerations for Analysis Services Deployment
- Deploying an Analysis Services Database into the Production Environment
For information about other deployment considerations, see the following topics: