Sample Databases Setup
Use the Sample Databases Setup page of the Microsoft SQL Server Installation Wizard to select a method to install the sample databases to an existing instance of SQL Server.
Important When the AdventureWorks and AdventureWorksDW sample databases are installed, the collation used is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS and not the collation selected for the instance of SQL Server. To change the collation of a sample database to match the server collation, drop the database and recreate it from the installation script. For more information, see Reinstalling Sample Databases from Script.
- Install sample databases without attaching
The AdventureWorks database files are created in the folder <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks OLTP. AdventureWorksDW files are created in the <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks Data Warehouse folder. You must attach the database before you can use it. For more information, see Detaching and Attaching Databases.
Install and attach sample databases
The database files are created and stored in the folder <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.n\MSSQL\Data. The database is attached to the selected instance of SQL Server and ready for use.
To attached the databases, you must have permission to create databases on the specified instance.
- SQL Server instance
Select the instance of SQL Server on which to install the sample databases and samples.
To Complete the Samples Installation
To complete the installation of the samples, after Setup, perform one of the following steps:
- From the Start menu, click All Programs, click Microsoft SQL Server 2005, click Documentation and Tutorials, click Samples, and then click Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Samples.
- Alternatively, using Windows Explorer, navigate to <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\ and double-click SqlServerSamples.msi to launch the installer.
The samples are installed to <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Samples. Be sure to read and follow the installation instructions in the Readme files that accompany the samples you want to use. For a list of samples, see the 'Samples' topic in SQL Server 2005 Books Online.
To Deploy the Adventure Works DW Analysis Services Project
- Make sure that the AdventureWorksDW and Adventure Works DW databases have been installed.
- Make sure Analysis Services has been installed.
- From the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio toolbar, click File, point to Open, and then click Project/Solution.
- Browse to <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks Analysis Services Project, select the file Adventure Works.sln, and then click Open.
- From Solution Explorer, right-click Adventure Works DW and select Deploy or Process.
Help and Information
5 December 2005