Microsoft Sync Framework
Sync Framework is a comprehensive synchronization platform that enables collaboration and offline access for applications, services, and devices. Sync Framework features technologies and tools that enable roaming, data sharing, and taking data offline. By using Sync Framework, developers can build synchronization ecosystems that integrate any application with data from any store, by using any protocol over any network.
This documentation covers all Sync Framework components, including the following:
Database synchronization providers (referred to as Sync Services for ADO.NET in previous releases)
File synchronization provider (referred to as Sync Services for File Systems in previous releases)
Web feed synchronization components (referred to as Sync Services for FeedSync in previous releases)
The Sync Framework documentation provides an introduction and a set of how-to topics and reference topics to help you quickly understand and productively use Sync Framework. The how-to topics contain sample code, and additional samples are available in the Sync Framework SDK and on Code Gallery. We strongly recommend that you read the introductory topics, particularly Selecting the Appropriate Sync Framework Components, before deciding how to use Sync Framework in your applications.
In This Section
- Benefits of Using Sync Framework
Describes the benefits of using Sync Framework, including its flexible approach, powerful synchronization model, and productive tools.
- What's New in Sync Framework 2.0
Describes features that have been added or enhanced in this version of Sync Framework.
- Selecting the Appropriate Sync Framework Components
Guides you to the correct component to use for your synchronization scenario, and describes the Sync Framework architecture.
- Installation, Redistribution, and Version Compatibility
Describes the installation packages that are used to install Sync Framework and how those installation packages can be redistributed with applications that use Sync Framework.
- Synchronizing Databases
Describes how to synchronize databases by using Sync Framework.
- Synchronizing Files
Describes how to synchronize file systems by using Sync Framework.
- Synchronizing Web Feeds
Describes how to synchronize RSS and Atom feeds with data in a local store by using Sync Framework.
- Synchronizing Data Stores by Using Custom Providers
Describes how to use core components, simple providers, and the metadata storage service to create custom synchronization providers.
- Sync Framework Managed Reference: Microsoft.Synchronization, Microsoft.Synchronization.Data, Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.Server, Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServer, Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe, Microsoft.Synchronization.MetadataStorage, Microsoft.Synchronization.SimpleProviders, Microsoft.Synchronization.Files, and Microsoft.Synchronization.FeedSync.
Provides reference material for the namespaces, types, and members in the Sync Framework managed API.
- Sync Framework Unmanaged Reference: Sync Framework Core Components, Sync Framework Metadata Storage Service Components, Sync Framework Simple Provider Components, Sync Framework File Synchronization Components, and Sync Framework Web Synchronization Components
Provides reference material for the interfaces, functions, and data types in the Sync Framework unmanaged API.
- Sync Framework Glossary
Defines terms that are used in the Sync Framework documentation.