Tip: Grant Permission to Access Folders Without Delegating Access
When a mailbox is stored on the server, you can grant access to individual folders in the mailbox. Granting access in this way allows users to add the mailbox to their mail profiles and work with the folder. Users can perform tasks only for which you’ve granted permission. To grant access to folders individually, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the folder for which you want to grant access, and then select Change Sharing Permissions. This displays the Permissions tab.
2. The Name and Permission Level lists display account names and their permissions on the folder. Two special names might be listed:
- Default Provides default permissions for all users.
- Anonymous Provides permissions for anonymous users, such as those who anonymously access a published public folder through the Web.
Tips RSS Feed
Subscribe to the TechNet Magazine Tips RSS feed.
3. If you want to grant users permission that differs from the default permission, click Add.
4. In the Add Users dialog box, double-click the name of a user who needs access to the mailbox. Click Add to put the name in the Add Users list. Repeat this step as necessary for other users, and click OK when finished.
5. In the Name and Role lists, select one or more users whose permissions you want to modify. Afterward, use the Roles list to assign permissions or select individual permission items. The roles are defined as follows:
- Owner Grants all permissions in the folder. Users with this role can create, read, modify, and delete all items in the folder. They can create subfolders and change permissions on folders as well.
- Publishing Editor Grants permission to create, read, modify, and delete all items in the folder. Users with this role can create subfolders as well.
- Editor Grants permission to create, read, modify, and delete all items in the folder.
- Publishing Author Grants permission to create and read items in the folder, to modify and delete items the user created, and to create subfolders.
- Author Grants permission to create and read items in the folder and to modify and delete items the user created.
- Nonediting Author Grants permission to create and read items in the folder.
- Reviewer Grants read-only permission.
- Contributor Grants permission to create items but not to view the contents of the folder.
- None Grants no permission in the folder.
6. When you’re finished granting permissions, click OK.
From the Microsoft Press book Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Administrator’s Pocket Consultant, Second Edition by William R. Stanek.
Looking for More Tips?
For more Exchange Server tips, visit the TechNet Magazine Exchange Server 2007 Tips page.
For more Tips on other products, visit the TechNet Magazine Tips index.