Microsoft Security Compliance Manager
Published: April 6, 2010 | Updated: January 28, 2013
What’s New: Microsoft Security Compliance Manager 3.0
Microsoft Security Compliance Manager 3.0 is now available for download! SCM 3.0 includes new baselines for Windows Server 2012, Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10, an enhanced setting library, and new functionality to LocalGPO.
New! SQL Server 2012 Baselines for Security Compliance Manager (SCM) are now available for beta download!
Download Microsoft Security Compliance Manager 3.0
Launch the download of Microsoft Security Compliance Manager 3.0.
Microsoft product-specific security policy configurations are integrated with Security Compliance Manager 3.0. To access security baselines for Windows client and server operating systems and Microsoft applications, launch the download of the Security Compliance Manager3.0.
About This Solution Accelerator
The Security Compliance Manager (SCM) is a free tool from the Microsoft Solution Accelerators team that enables you to quickly configure and manage the computers in your environment and your private cloud using Group Policy and Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager.
SCM provides ready-to-deploy policies and DCM configuration packs based on Microsoft security guide recommendations and industry best practices, allowing you to easily manage configuration drift and address compliance requirements for Windows operating systems, Office applications, and other Microsoft applications.
Now you can easily configure computers running Windows Server 2012, Windows 8, Microsoft Office applications, and Windows Internet Explorer 10 with industry leading knowledge and fully supported tools. In addition to the latest software releases, you can also configure previous additions of Windows Server and Microsoft Office.
Key SCM Features:
- Baselines based on Microsoft security guide recommendations and industry best practices: These baselines are designed to help you manage configuration drift, address compliance requirements, and reduce security threats.
- Centralized security baseline management features: These include a baseline portfolio, customization capabilities, and security baseline export flexibility to accelerate your organization’s ability to efficiently manage the security and compliance process for the most widely used Microsoft technologies.
- Gold master support: Import your existing Group Policy to take advantage of it, or create a snapshot of a reference machine to kick-start your project.
- Stand-alone machine configuration: Deploy your configurations to non-domain joined computers using the new GPO Pack feature.
- Updated security guides: Take advantage of the deep security expertise and best practices in the updated security guides, and the attack surface reference workbooks, to help reduce the most important security risks for your organization.
- Comparisons against industry best practices: Analyze your configurations against prebuilt baselines for the latest Windows client and server operating systems.
Included in the Download
The Microsoft Security Compliance Manager download includes the following components:
- Microsoft_Security_Compliance_Manager_Setup.exe: The Microsoft Security Compliance Manager allows you to view, update, and export security baselines.
- LocalGPO.msi: This tool is designed to manage the local Group Policy of a computer, such as applying a security baseline and exporting the local Group Policy.
- SCM 3.0 was released January 2013
- SCM 2.5 was released March 2012
- SCM 2.0 was released in September 2011
- SCM 1.0 was first released in April 2010
The following resources provide additional information about security topics and Microsoft Security Solution Accelerators:
- Microsoft Security Compliance Manager Release Notes
- José and Jeff discuss SCM
- Microsoft Security Compliance Manager Interview with Chase Carpenter at Microsoft Management Summit 2011
- Solution Accelerators Team presents Microsoft Security Compliance Manager
- System Center Configuration Manager Extensions for SCAP
Community and Feedback
Want to know what’s coming up next? Check out our Microsoft Security Guidance Blog.
Join in discussions on managing IT security and compliance in the Security and Compliance Management Forum.
Contact the Solution Accelerators security team with your feedback: SecWish@microsoft.com.
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT pros plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free, prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Sign up to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as:
- Communication and collaboration
- Security, data protection, and recovery
- Operations and management
Download This Accelerator
Launch the download of the Microsoft Security Compliance Manager3.0.