Operations for Mobile Device Manager
This document provides IT pros with the procedures to manage Windows Mobile devices and servers in Microsoft System Center Mobile Device Manager (MDM) 2008 Service Pack 1. It also provides recommendations and best practices for both MDM server and mobile client operation.
This guide assumes that you have a general understanding of the following:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 platforms
- Domain controllers
- Global catalog servers
- Active Directory Domain Services
- Group Policy management
- Virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Network protocols
- Services such as Domain Name Service (DNS), Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), Microsoft Internet Information Service 6.0 (IIS), certificates, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
This guide also assumes that you have deployed all components of the MDM infrastructure in your IT environment, including:
- Installed Mobile Device Manager Enrollment Server, MDM Device Management Server, and MDM Gateway Server roles.
- Installed Mobile Device Manager Administrator Tools, including Mobile Device Manager Console, Mobile Device Manager Software Distribution Console, Mobile Device Manager (MDM) Shell, and Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) with MDM Group Policy extensions.
- Deployed Windows Mobile devices with the Windows Mobile 6.1 operating system. This is the operating system that contains the MDM client.
In This Section
- Managing MDM Instances
Describes how to use MDM Console to connect to MDM instances so that you can manage the servers and devices in these instances from a single location.
- Managing MDM Devices
Describes how to use MDM Console to manage and control managed Windows Mobile devices.
- Distributing Software to Managed Devices
Describes how to use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) to distribute software to managed Windows Mobile devices.
- Managing MDM Servers
Describes how to manage MDM Device Management Server, MDM Enrollment Server, and MDM Gateway Server.
- Configuring MDM Services
Describes how to manage the services provided by the MDM system, including enrollment, device inventory, device wipe, and software distribution.
- MDM Backup and Recovery
Provides an overview of backup and recovery requirement for MDM.
- MDM Self Service Portal Deployment and Customization
Describes how to install, configure, and customize MDM Self Service Portal.