Microsoft Application Virtualization Dashboard
Download This Solution Accelerator
About the Application Virtualization Dashboard
The Microsoft® Application Virtualization Dashboard helps you monitor virtualized software applications across your organization. The dashboard’s built-in charts, gauges, and tables let you track any APP-V dataset in near-real time, so you can easily stay on top of the usage, health, and compliance of all your virtualized applications.
The App-V Dashboard is designed and built on Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 as the application platform by using Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5/4.6.
Benefits of the dashboard include:
- Actionable information out of the box. The dashboard comes with a wide range of valuable, built-in reports like top 5 applications used, top 5 users, applications never used, application usage for a specific user, system utilization, and many more.
- Near-real-time access to key information. The graphical dashboard lets customers view any App-V dataset in near-real time.
- Easy to build and configure. The dashboard’s wizard-based tools let customers easily create new dashboards in minutes.
- Easy to customize. The dashboard can easily be customized to meet the needs of different departments and other groups. Any data set in the Microsoft Application Virtualization database can be presented on the dashboard, in chart, gauge, and table formats.
- Flexible & interactive. Users can easily filter data and create ad hoc, custom views. Filters allow users to quickly drill down from high-level to more specific data.
How the Dashboard Works
The Application Virtualization Dashboard is designed to work with an existing Application Virtualization 4.5 or 4.6 infrastructure. The Dashboard queries the Application Virtualization database and uses the resulting data set to present key infrastructure metrics in a graphical format.
The Application Virtualization Dashboard uses SharePoint Web parts to manage and display data sets:
- Microsoft Dashboard Configuration Web Part. Use this Web part to create and modify the SQL queries that produce the data sets and the other properties that govern how the Dashboard displays the data sets.
- Microsoft Dashboard Viewer Web Part. Use this Web part to display the data sets. A Dashboard Viewer Web Part displays one data set at a time. The Application Virtualization Dashboard can contain multiple copies of the Dashboard Viewer Web Part at once, each copy displaying a different data set.
The following figure shows how users can interact with the Web parts to retrieve and display data.
Figure 1. Application Virtualization Dashboard Process Flow
The Application Virtualization Dashboard process flow involves the following sequence of activities:
- An IT Service Manager requests a new data set.
- The IT Administrator uses the Dashboard Configuration Web Part to define the new data set.
- The IT Administrator stores the configuration information for the new data set (the information is saved in the Windows SharePoint Services Content database).
- The IT Administrator adds a new copy of the Dashboard Viewer Web Part to the default Application Virtualization Dashboard and then modifies the Web part to display the new data set.
- The IT Service Manager browses to the Application Virtualization Dashboard site.
- Windows SharePoint Services queries the Application Virtualization database as specified by the data set configuration.
- Windows SharePoint Services renders the new data set using the Dashboard Viewer Web Part.
Requirements for the Application Virtualization Dashboard
The App-V Dashboard integrates with an already functioning deployment of System Center Application Virtualization and has no additional infrastructure requirements. It is assumed that App-V and it’s database are configured in accordance with Microsoft installation guidance.
The following table lists software requirements for the Application Virtualization Dashboard.
Table 1. App-V Dashboard Software Requirements
See requirements for Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5 or 4.6
Microsoft Internet Explorer® 7.0 or Internet Explorer 8.0.
Community and Feedback
Please send questions or comments about this Solution Accelerator to email@example.com.
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT pros plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free, prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Sign up to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as:
- Communication and collaboration
- Security, data protection, and recovery
- Operations and management