Microsoft Application Approval Workflow
Published: March 12, 2012 | Updated: April 30, 2012
Download This Solution Accelerator
About This Solution Accelerator
The Application Approval Workflow (AAW) takes an application request submitted through the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Application Catalog and transforms it into a System Center 2012 - Service Manager service request, allowing flexible approval lists and activities.
The AAW extends your application approval process. End users can easily request applications on-demand directly through the Configuration Manager Application Catalog or via redirection from the Service Manager Self-Service Portal. Application requests requiring approval are routed to Service Manager where custom approver lists and activities can be configured based on user and application properties.
In More Detail
AAW uses System Center 2012 - Orchestrator between Configuration Manager and Service Manager to sync Configuration Manager applications, leverage Service Manager workflows, and post the approval status back to Configuration Manager. We created wizards in Service Manager to configure custom service request template-matching criteria. User and application properties received in the approval request from Configuration Manager are used to select a service request template containing an approver list and activities that best fit your business process.
- Sync Configuration Manager applications data into the Service Manager database.
- Monitor and transport Configuration Manager Application Catalog requests requiring approval to Service Manager and open a service request.
- Return the completed approval workflow status to Configuration Manager for handling.
- Allow administrators to define and maintain application selection criteria for specific applications or application groups and specific users or user groups.
- Track service application requests and view application catalog contents in Service Manager.
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft System Center 2012 - Service Manager
- Microsoft System Center 2012 - Orchestrator (Orchestrator and SCSM must be installed on separate servers)
- Microsoft System Center Integration Pack for System Center 2012 Service Manager
- Microsoft System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Service Manager Portal
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable – 10.0.30319.
Community and Feedback
To connect with others in the System Center community, learn more about the tool, and get help with questions, visit the Service Center forum home page.
About Solution Accelerators
Solution Accelerators are authoritative resources that help IT pros plan, deliver, operate, and manage IT systems that address real-world scenarios. Solution Accelerators provide free, prescriptive guidance and automation to accelerate cross-product integration, core infrastructure development, and other enhancements.
Sign up to receive the Solution Accelerator Notifications newsletter so that you can stay informed about new Solution Accelerator releases and updates. The newsletter covers such areas of interest as:
- Communication and collaboration
- Security, data protection, and recovery
- Operations and management