Designing a Great Ultra-Mobile PC User Experience
This section defines high-level user experience design principles and gives specific recommendations for Ultra-Mobile PC application feature development.
At minimum, your Ultra-Mobile PC application should do the following:
- Be easy to use and fully functional in the absence of a standard input device, such as a mouse and keyboard.
- Present information in such a way that users can digest it in a glance. Avoid an overly dense user interface.
- Launch and run in full screen mode.
- Provide exit control while in full-screen mode.
- Run in both portrait and landscape modes.
- Ensure that all user interface elements are visible and unclipped at 800x480.
- Ensure that dialog box height is less than 480 pixels.
- Be designed for multiple resolutions and display sizes. Ensure that user interface elements scale to accommodate a range of display sizes and typical display resolutions.
- Disable or eliminate all user interface elements that are not required for a specific task, including captions and status bars.
Topics in this section:
- User Experience Design Principles
- Optimizing Touch Command and Control
- Designing for Keyboard-Free Scenarios
- Designing for Mouse-Free Scenarios
- Optimizing the Display Area
- Using Notifications Well
Build date: 2/8/2011