Fonts (Windows Embedded CE 6.0)
A font is a collection of glyphs that share a common design. A font is characterized by its typeface, style, and size.
- The font typeface determines the specific characteristics of the glyphs, such as the relative width of the thick and thin strokes used in any specified character.
- The style determines the font weight and slant. Font weights can range from thin to black. Slants can be roman (upright) or italic.
- The size of a font is the distance from the bottom of a lowercase g to the top of an adjacent uppercase M, measured in points. A point is approximately one seventy–second (1/72) of an inch.
Windows Embedded CE supports TrueType and raster font technologies, but only one font technology can be used on a specified OS design. Generally, Windows Embedded CE uses Tahoma as the default system font. There is no default font for Korean, Japanese, Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese, so you must load at least one font so that your application can have text output.
After you choose TrueType or raster font technology during OS design, you cannot change technologies with an application.
TrueType is the default in Windows Embedded CE, but you can implement raster technology in your OS design by adding the Raster Fonts Support Catalog item from the Platform Builder Catalog to your OS design.
This section contains information on how to use Fonts functionality in your applications and descriptions of Fonts programming elements.
In This Section
- Fonts Application Development
Provides information on how you can use the fonts functionality in your applications.
Provides reference information on the functions that are available to use in Windows Embedded CE–based applications.
Fonts OS Design Development
Provides information on the types of fonts available to include in an OS design, components and modules that implement the fonts functionality, and sysgen variables that enable font functionalities.
- Fonts Registry Settings
Explains the registry settings required to configure your OS design or applications to enable the required font functionalities.
- Fonts Security
Provides security information regarding Fonts and best practices for implementation.
- Fonts Migration
Provides information that you need to know to migrate this functionality from one version of Windows Embedded CE to another.
- MUI Font Linking
Explains how to work with languages that may require different fonts for display requires special considerations.
- Windows Embedded CE Features
Provides links and information about the Catalog–selectable technologies and functionality that can be included in OS designs