Requirements for a POSReady 7 Device (POSReady 7)
February 18, 2016
You can install and run Windows Embedded POSReady 7 on any computer that meets or exceeds the following hardware requirements.
Recommended Hardware Configuration
- 1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor*
- 32-bit systems:
- 1 GB RAM
- 16 GB available hard disk space
- 64-bit systems:
- 2 GB RAM
- 20 GB available hard disk space
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or a later version driver
- Bootable DVD-ROM drive
We recommend that you install POSReady 7 on a computer that has at least 16 GB of available disk space for 32-bit systems and 20 GB for 64-bit systems. Various features in POSReady 7 can quickly increase the disk space requirements. For optimal performance of the hard disk, you need at least 15 percent free space at all times and sufficient space for the paging file, which might be up to two times the size of the system’s RAM.
*Prior versions of Windows Embedded, including Windows Embedded 7, 8 and 8.1 products, have limited support when running on new processors and chipsets from manufacturers like Intel, AMD, NVidia, and Qualcomm. For more information, please see the Support Lifecycle FAQ.
The following additional requirements may be needed to use certain features:
- Internet access (ISP or carrier fees may apply)
- Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware
- Windows Touch and TabletPC features require specific hardware
- BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2
- BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive
Product functionality and graphics may vary based on the system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.
Computers with Multi-Core Processors
POSReady 7 is designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of POSReady 7 support up to 32 processor cores. 64-bit versions support up to 256 processor cores.
Computers with Multiple Processors (CPUs)
POSReady 7 supports two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers.