Prerequisites (Compact 7)
Before you install Windows Embedded Compact 7, ensure that your development computer meets the following hardware, OS, and software requirements.
Windows Embedded Compact 7 cannot be installed on a computer that has a previous version of Windows Embedded Compact or Platform Builder installed. You must either uninstall previous versions of Windows Embedded Compact and Platform Builder before you install Windows Embedded Compact 7, or you can install Windows Embedded Compact 7 on a virtual machine. For information about how to create a virtual machine, see Windows Virtual PC.
Your development computer must meet the following hardware requirements:
- Approximately 100 GB of free hard disk space
- Minimum: 1.6 GHz CPU, 384 MB RAM, 1024x768 display, 5400 RPM hard disk speed
- Recommended: 2.4 GHz or higher CPU, 2048 MB or more RAM, 1280x1024 display, 7200 RPM or higher hard disk speed
You can install Windows Embedded Compact 7 on the following operating systems:
- Windows XP Service Pack 3
- Windows Vista Service Pack 2
- Windows 7 and any available service packs
Your computer must have the following software installed:
- Visual Studio 2008 Professional. To install a trial version, go to Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition (90-day Trial).
- Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1. You can download it from Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1.
- .NET Framework 3.5. This download is available at Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.
Although not covered in this guide, you can use Microsoft Silverlight for Windows Embedded and the Microsoft Expression Blend 3 templates in your OS design. To do so, you need to install the following software before you install Windows Embedded Compact 7:
- Expression Blend 3. To download a trial version, go to Microsoft Expression Blend 3 + SketchFlow Trial.
To use this guide, you need the following additional software. You may install it either before or after you install Windows Embedded Compact 7.
- Virtual PC. If your development computer runs Windows 7, install Windows Virtual PC. If your development computer runs Windows Vista or Windows XP, install Virtual PC 2007 SP1.