Deploy an Application with a CAB File (Compact 2013)
This section shows you how to deploy your application with a CAB file, and how to package your application in a CAB file when you want to customize installation. Customizations could include installing the application to a specific directory, configuring registry settings, including other files such as DLLs, and so on. Windows Embedded Compact 2013 supports CAB file installation if the OEM includes this support in the OS design.
Deploying an application with a CAB file consists of the following tasks:
- Packaging and deploying the application in a CAB file
- Installing the CAB file on the device
Before you begin this procedure, verify that your setup meets the following prerequisites:
- Software requirements: Your device runs Windows Embedded Compact 2013. Your development computer has Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 or Microsoft Visual Studio 2015.
- Windows Embedded Compact configuration: The operating system (OS) on your device supports the CAB file installer. If you are an OEM, for information about how to configure Windows Embedded Compact 2013 to support the CAB file installer, see Design an OS.
- Platform Builder settings: The OS on your device is set to release settings with the kernel-independent transport layer (KITL) and kernel debugger disabled.
- Application requirements: Your application is a stand-alone solution based on an SDK that was supplied with your OS. It cannot be a subproject of an OS solution.