Requirements for an Embedded Device (Standard 8)
February 18, 2016
Review the requirements for a Windows Embedded 8 Standard (Standard 8) device.
An embedded device must meet the following requirements in order to run Windows Embedded 8 Standard (Standard 8). If your device does not meet these requirements, the Standard 8 operating system and tools might not run or might not work as expected.
The embedded device must meet or exceed the following requirements:
- 1 GHz x86 or x64 processor* with 900 MHz speed or equivalent
- 1 GB of system memory (2 GB recommended for x64)
- 3 GB of free space on the hard disk (HDD) or flash-based Solid State Drive (SSD) (6 GB recommended)
- At least one of the following bootable media types:
- Bootable DVD-ROM drive
- Bootable USB 2.0 port and a USB flash drive with 4 GB of free space or access to a local network
- BIOS supporting Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) 4.0
*Prior versions of Windows Embedded, including Windows Embedded 7, 8 and 8.1 products, have limited support when running on new processors and chipsets from manufacturers like Intel, AMD, NVidia, and Qualcomm. For more information, please see the Support Lifecycle FAQ.