Event ID 126 — AD CS Certification Authority Upgrade
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Upgrading a certification authority (CA) that was installed on an earlier version of Windows to a computer running Windows Server 2008 can affect configuration options or components that need to be reconfigured after the upgrade. In some cases, you may also have to fix configuration problems before the upgrade can be completed.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||Current information about advanced features supported by this certification authority is not available from the domain controller. Stop and restart Certificate Services in order to update this information. %1|
Update information needed for upgrade to be completed
In order for a certification authority (CA) upgrade to be successful, complete information must be available about the version of Windows Server 2008 and about the version of Active Directory Directory Services that are available. To obtain complete information and complete the upgrade:
- Confirm that the domain controller has been upgraded to Windows Server 2008.
- Confirm that the CA you are attempting to upgrade is installed on a computer running Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008. You cannot upgrade a CA from a computer running Windows 2000 directly to a computer running Windows Server 2008.
- Restart the computer and try the upgrade again.
- If the problem persists after a restart, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=89446.
To perform this procedure, you must have permissions to request and enroll for a certificate.
To confirm that the upgrade has completed successfully, perform a test enrollment for a user or computer certificate:
- Log on to a domain computer running Windows Vista as a domain user with Enroll permissions on at least one template.
- Click Start, type mmc, and then press ENTER.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
- On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in, click Certificates, and then click Add.
- Click User account, and click Next.
- Click Finish, and then click OK.
- In the console tree, double-click Certificates - Current User, and click Personal.
- On the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and click Request New Certificate to start the Certificate Enrollment wizard.
- Use the wizard to create and submit the certificate request.
- Under Certificate Installation Results, confirm that the enrollment completes successfully and no errors are reported. You can also click Details to view additional information about the certificate.