Event ID 513 — Multicast Initialization
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
When the WDSServer service is started, the multicast server initializes. During initialization, the multicast server reads the configuration settings and determines whether any multicast transmissions or namespaces are still valid (and restarts them if they are). The multicast server must initialize successfully before it can function correctly.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||An error occurred while trying to read the configuration information. The Windows Deployment Multicast server will not process incoming client requests.
Error Information: %1
Ensure that the registry settings and permissions are correct
To resolve this issue, do the following in the specified order:
- Ensure that the registry data is correct.
- Reinstall Windows Deployment Services.
Caution: Incorrectly editing the registry might severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data.
To perform these procedures, you must either be a member of the local Administrators group or have been delegated the appropriate authority.
Ensure that the registry data is correct
To ensure that the registry data is correct:
- Open Registry Editor. (Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.)
- Verify that the WDSMC registry key exists in this location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WDSServer\Providers\WDSMC
- If the WDSMC key does exist there, verify that it has the correct permissions to read the registry keys at the following location: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WDSServer\Providers\WDSMC\Providers\<content provider>. To do this, right-click the WDSServer node, click Permissions, click SYSTEM, and then make sure that Read is selected.
- If the registry key and permissions are correct, restart the WDServer service (in the Command Prompt window, run net stop wdsserver and then run net start wdsserver).
- If the provider key is missing, you will need to reinstall Windows Deployment Services by using the procedure in the following section.
Reinstall Windows Deployment Services
To reinstall Windows Deployment Services:
- Open Server Manager.
- Under Roles Summary, click Remove Roles.
- Click Windows Deployment Services, and follow the instructions in the wizard.
- After the role removal is completed, click Add Roles in Server Manager to reinstall Windows Deployment Services.
For more information about installing Windows Deployment Services, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=89222.
To verify that the multicast server initialized successfully:
- Open Event Viewer. (Click Start, type Event Viewer in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.)
- In the left pane, expand Custom Views, expand Server Roles, and then click Windows Deployment Services.
- Click the Date and Time column heading to sort the events based on the date and time.
- Find WDSMC event 512.