Event ID 20188 — RAS Connection
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
A server running Routing and Remote Access provides two different types of remote access connectivity: virtual private networking (VPN) and dial-up networking. VPN is the creation of secured, point-to-point connections across a private network or a public network, such as the Internet. A VPN client uses special TCP/IP-based protocols called tunneling protocols to make a virtual call to a virtual port on a VPN server. In dial-up networking, a remote access client makes a nonpermanent, dial-up connection to a physical port on a remote access server by using the service of a telecommunications provider, such as analog phone or ISDN. In contrast to dial-up networking, VPN is always a logical, indirect connection between the VPN client and the VPN server over a public network, such as the Internet.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The user: %1, attempting to connect on: %2, was disconnected because of the following reason: %3|
Review the remote access service error code
There is not enough information available in the Routing and Remote Access service event message to provide a recommendation for resolution of the problem. If you continue to get this error, contact Microsoft Product Support Services. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52267.
For more information about remote access service error codes, see article 163111 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91455).
To verify that the remote access server can accept connections, establish a remote access connection from a client computer.
To create a VPN connection:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Set up a connection or network.
- Click Connect to a workplace, and then click Next.
- Complete the steps in the Connect to a Workplace wizard.
To connect to a remote access server:
- In Network and Sharing Center, click Manage network connections.
- Double-click the VPN connection, and then click Connect.
- Verify that the connection was established successfully.