Event ID 1071 — IIS W3SVC Configuration
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
The Internet Information Services (IIS) World Wide Web Publishing Service (W3SVC) can be configured to collect performance data and do HTTP compression. If the W3SVC is configured to perform HTTP compression, a valid compression directory that resides on an NTFS volume must be specified.
|Product:||Internet Information Services|
|Message:||The World Wide Web Publishing Service (WWW Service) failed to enable global bandwidth throttling because QoS Packet Scheduler is not installed.|
Enable the Packet Scheduler feature
Bandwidth throttling uses Packet Scheduler to manage when data packets are sent. When you configure a site to use bandwidth throttling by using IIS Manager, Packet Scheduler is automatically installed, and IIS automatically sets bandwidth throttling to a minimum of 1024 kilobytes per second (KBps). However, if you use another method, such as Active Directory® Service Interfaces (ADSI) or WMI, you must enable Packet Scheduler for bandwidth throttling to work correctly.
To perform these procedures, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
Enable Packet Scheduler
To enable Packet Scheduler:
- From the Start menu, click Control Panel, click Network and Sharing Center.
- Under Tasks, click Manage network connections. The Network Connections window appears.
- Right-click any one of the listed connections, and then click Properties.
- Under This connection uses the following items, look for the entry QoS Packet Scheduler.
- If QoS Packet Scheduler is present, select the check box next to QoS Packet Scheduler, and click OK.
- If the QoS Packet Scheduler entry is not present, install it by using the following procedure.
Install the QoS Packet Scheduler
To install the QoS Packet Scheduler:
- Click any one of the listed items, and then click Install.
- In the Select Network Component Type dialog box, click Service, and then click Add.
- In the Select Network Service dialog box, click QoS Packet Scheduler, and then click OK to close all open dialog boxes.
To verify that the World Wide Web Publishing (W3SVC) is configured correctly, you can:
- Check that the World Wide Web Publishing service is running.
- Test browse a Web page that uses W3SVC.
Verify that W3SVC is running
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To verify that the World Wide Web Publishing service is running, follow these steps:
- Open an elevated command Prompt window. Click Start, point to All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
- Type sc query w3svc, and press ENTER. The World Wide Web Publishing service is running if the state reported for the service is 4 RUNNING.
Perform a test browse
To perform a test browse by using IIS Manager:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Administrative Tools.
- Right-click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and select Run as administrator.
- In the Connections pane, expand the computer name.
- Expand Sites.
- Select the Web site or application that you want to verify.
- In the Actions pane, click the link under Browse.