Event ID 4317 — NBT Naming
Updated: April 17, 2008
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
NBT (NetBIOS (network basic input/output system)) over TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol) naming provides mapping between NetBIOS names and IP addresses.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The Netbios Name Scope has a component longer than 63 characters. Each label in the Scope cannot be longer than 63 bytes.|
Reduce the value of the ScopeID registry key to 63 or fewer characters
The registry key for NBT parameters must be fewer than 64 characters.
To edit the registry key:
You must be logged on as an administrator or belong to the Administrators group to complete these steps.
Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you can cause serious problems that might require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click Start, type regedit.exe in Start Search, and then locate the following key in the registry tree: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters
- Click the Parameters subkey, and locate the ScopeID entry. (Note that this name is case-sensitive.)
- Update the ScopeID entry so that each label is not longer than 63 characters and the total ScopeID length is not longer than 255 characters.
- Restart the computer.
- At a command prompt on DHCP clients, type ipconfig /release, and then type ipconfig /renew to enable the new setting.
To verify that the name can be resolved, ping a remote host by name:
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
- Type ping [hostname].
- If the ping succeeds, then the name was successfully resolved.
Note: Ping will fail if the remote server does not have File and Print sharing enabled and a File and Printer Sharing exception in Windows Firewall enabled. On Windows Server 2008, installing the File Server or Domain Controller roles will do this, as will sharing a printer.