Event ID 4305 — NBT Protocol Connectivity to WINS Server
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) is the Microsoft implementation of the NetBIOS (network basic input/output system) Name Server, a name server and service for NetBIOS computer names. WINS provides a central mapping of computer names to their network addresses.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The primary WINS server address is not formatted correctly in the registry.|
NetBIOS name resolution failed because your WINS server is not configured correctly.
To configure the WINS server:
To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group or the Network Configuration Operators group on the local computer.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Sharing Center,** and then click **Manage Network Connections.
- Right-click the connection you want to edit, and then click Properties.
- Click Continue when prompted by User Access Control.
- Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
- Click Advanced, click the WINS tab, and then click Add.
- In WINS addresses, in order of use, type the IP address of the WINS server, and then click Add.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each WINS server IP address you want to add, and then click OK.
- To enable the use of the Lmhosts file to resolve remote NetBIOS names, select the Enable LMHOSTS lookup check box. This option is enabled by default.
- To specify the location of a file that you want to import into the Lmhosts file, click Import LMHOSTS, and then select the file in the Open dialog box.
- To enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, do the following:
- To enable the use of NetBIOS over TCP/IP, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
- To disable the use of NetBIOS over TCP/IP, click Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
- To have the DHCP server determine whether NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled or disabled, click Default.
To verify the correct configuration of the WINS Server service:
Click Start, Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, Manage Network Connections, right-click the connection to edit, and then click Properties.
Click Continue when prompted by User Access Control.
Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
Click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.
If WINS is configured correctly, WINS addresses are displayed.