Event ID 4099 — Display Driver Timeout Detection and Recovery to VGA
Updated: December 11, 2007
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Windows can detect when the graphics hardware or the Windows XP Display Driver Model (XPDM) device driver take longer than expected to complete an operation. When this happens in an XPDM device driver under some circumstances, the device driver cannot recover, and Windows starts the VGA-compatible device driver so you can see the desktop.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||Display driver %1 stopped responding. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine, a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft.|
Save Your Work and Restart the Computer
Windows detected that the video adapter hardware on your computer has taken longer than expected to complete a requested operation. Due to the nature of the failure, Windows was not able to fully restore video operation, and has started the VGA-compatible driver. To recover full graphics capabilities, save your work, and then restart the computer.
If this problem occurs often, use Windows Update to check if a new display driver is available, and if so, to install it.
In some cases, Windows prepares a report containing diagnostic data about the error condition experienced by the graphics adapter or device driver. If a report was created, you will be asked if you want to submit the report to Microsoft. If you choose Send report , it is sent immediately. If you choose not to send the report now, you can send it later, by using the procedure To submit the report to Microsoft below.
To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the local Administrators group, or you must be delegated the appropriate authority.
To submit the report to Microsoft
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, click System and Maintenance.
- Under Problem Reports and Solutions, click Check for new solutions.
- If Windows displays a dialog box asking "Do you want to send more information about the problem?", click Send information.
- If a solution is presented, follow the instructions displayed. The solution is often to download and install a newer version of the device driver, but can be instructions about how to correct a configuration error.
To start Windows Update
- Click Start.
- Click All Programs.
- Click Windows Update.
- In the upper left corner of the Windows Update page, click Check for updates.
- After the check has completed, click View available updates. If no updates are available, close the Windows Update page. Be sure to check back periodically to see if your vendor has supplied a new driver.
- If an update is available for your graphics adapter, select it and install it.
Confirm that you can see the desktop in high resolution mode as expected.