Event ID 20220 — RAS Connection Establishment
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Remote access involves the establishment of a dial-up or broadband connection with a remote access server. A dial-up client that connects to a server running Routing and Remote Access can be any PPP client. The client must have installed a modem, an analog telephone line or other wide area network (WAN) connection, and remote access software. Virtual private networking (VPN) clients that connect to Routing and Remote Access must be able to send TCP/IP packets to the remote access server over the Internet. Therefore, either a network adapter or modem with an analog telephone line or other WAN connection to the Internet is required.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The connection to %1 (<Server Name>) made using device %2 (<Device Name>) was terminated. The error code returned on failure is %3 (<err_code>)|
Fix problems with RAS connection establishment
The establishment of a RAS connection for Internet or VPN connectivity takes place in stages. The successful completion of a stage is indicated by the generation of an informational (success) event. The failure of RAS connection setup is diagnosed based on the last informational event generated and the error code that accompanies ROUTERLOG_RASCONNECTION_FAILED (Event 20227).
The problems that might cause the failure are divided into the following categories:
- Hardware issues
- Network connectivity
- VPN tunnel settings
- IPsec security associations
- PPP user authentication and negotiation issues
For detailed information about resolving these issues, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=103357.
To verify that the remote access server can accept connections, establish a remote access connection from a client computer.
To create a VPN connection:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Set up a connection or network.
- Click Connect to a workplace, and then click Next.
- Complete the steps in the Connect to a Workplace wizard.
To connect to a remote access server:
- In Network and Sharing Center, click Manage network connections.
- Double-click the VPN connection, and then click Connect.
- Verify that the connection was established successfully.