Event ID 20215 — RRAS Authentication and Accounting
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
If a remote access server is configured for Windows authentication, the security features of Windows Server 2008 are used to verify the credentials for authentication, and the dial-in properties of the user account are used to authorize the connection.
If the remote access server is configured for RADIUS authentication, the connection request, including credentials, is forwarded to the RADIUS server for authentication and authorization. If the RADIUS server is a computer running Network Policy Server (NPS), NPS performs authentication against the credentials that are stored in the user account database, such as Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) or the local Security Accounts Manager (SAM) database on the server running NPS. NPS performs authorization using the dial-in properties of the user account and with network policies that are configured in NPS.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The IAS/RADIUS server has passed an invalid value to the server running Routing and Remote Access for the following RADIUS attribute: Attribute Type %1; Vendor ID %2; Vendor specific type %3. Use the netsh ras set tracing command to enable packet tracing. Ensure that the RADIUS packets conform to the standards specified in RFC 2548.|
Enable packet tracing
- Use the netsh ras set tracing command to enable packet tracing. Ensure that the RADIUS packets conform to the standards specified in RFC 2548.
To verify that the remote access server can accept connections, establish a remote access connection from a client computer.
To create a VPN connection:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Set up a connection or network.
- Click Connect to a workplace, and then click Next.
- Complete the steps in the Connect to a Workplace wizard.
To connect to a remote access server:
- In Network and Sharing Center, click Manage network connections.
- Double-click the VPN connection, and then click Connect.
- Verify that the connection was established successfully.