Event ID 66 — Print Spooler Status
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
Print Server Status controls basic operations such as initializing the spooler, creating threads, and reading the registry.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||Printer %1 failed to initialize its ports. Win32 error: %2. This error usually occurs because of a problem with the port monitor. Try recreating the port using a standard TCP/IP printer port, if possible. This problem does not affect other printers.|
Recreate the port and monitor
Recreate the port and monitor. Use the standard TCP/IP port monitor provided by Microsoft Windows, if possible. If you are using a port monitor provided by another company, you might need to contact that company to obtain updated software.
To recreate the port and monitor:
- Open Printers and Faxes.
- Click Add Printer to start the Add Printer Wizard, and then click Next.
- Click Local printer attached to this computer, clear the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Playprinter check box, and then click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to finish setting up your printer by selecting a printer port, selecting the manufacturer and model of the printer, and typing a name for the printer.
- When the Add Printer Wizard prompts you to select the printer port, click Create a new port.
- In the list that is displayed, click the appropriate port type, and then follow the instructions. (Note that by default, Local Port and Standard TCP/IP Port are the only two port types that appear in the list.)
Perform the following tasks to verify that you resolved the problem:
- Print the document again.
- If the print server logs spooler information events, look for Print Spooler Event 10 after printing, and then examine the document to confirm that it printed correctly.