Event ID 8197 — Terminal Services License Server Database Availability
Applies To: Windows Server 2008
When the Terminal Services Licensing (TS Licensing) role service is installed, a database is created in which to hold information about the Terminal Services client access licenses (TS CALs) that are installed onto the license server.
The location of the TS Licensing database can specified during the TS Licensing role service installation. The database location must be a local folder on the computer on which the TS Licensing role service is being installed. By default, the TS Licensing database is located in the %systemroot%\system32\lserver folder. You can confirm the location of the TS Licensing database by using Review Configuration in the TS Licensing Manager tool.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The TS Licensing database path could not be set to "%1!s!" during the installation of TS Licensing.
Win32 error code: %2!s!
No further action is required because the default database path will be used
During the installation of the TS Licensing role service, the path that was specified for the TS Licensing database could not be used. Therefore, TS Licensing will use the default path instead. The default path is %systemroot%\system32\lserver (where %systemroot% is the folder in which the operating system is installed, which is, by default, c:\windows).
When specifying the location of the TS Licensing database during the installation of the TS Licensing role service, ensure the following:
- The path exists.
- The path is local to the computer on which you are installing the TS Licensing role service.
- You have the required permissions to the path.
Important: The path to the TS Licensing database cannot be changed after the TS Licensing role service has been installed.
To verify the location of the TS Licensing database, use Review Configuration in the TS Licensing Manager tool. By default, the TS Licensing database is located in the %systemroot%\system32\lserver folder (where %systemroot% is the folder in which the operating system is installed, which is, by default, c:\windows).
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in the local Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To verify the location of the database folder:
- On the license server, open TS Licensing Manager. To open TS Licensing Manager, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, point to Terminal Services, and then click TS Licensing Manager.
- If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
- In the left pane, click All Servers, click the name of the license server, and then on the Action menu, click Review Configuration.
- The database location is listed at the top of the Configuration dialog box.
Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder containing the TS Licensing database to confirm its existence and that it contains the tslic.edb file.