Event ID 1020 — Windows Installer Application Servicing
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Installer can upgrade an application that has been installed by the installer. It does this by reinstalling an updated installation package or by applying a Windows Installer patch to the application. The installer can update the .msi file, the application files themselves, and application registration information.
|Product:||Windows Installer - Unicode|
|Message:||Product: %1 - Update '%2' could not be removed. Error code %3. Additional information is available in the log file %4.|
Review the System log file
Windows Installer encountered an error while installing, updating, or removing an application. For more information about the error, you will need to open Event Viewer and examine the System log file.
To review the system log file for Windows Installer events:
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Event Viewer.
- In the navigation pane, find the System event log.
- In the Actions pane, click Filter current log...
- In the Filter Current Log dialog box, select the Filter tab and then select MsiInstaller from the Event Sources drop-down.
- Review the most recent Windows Installer events to determine the cause of the issue. In addition to the Windows Installer events, you should also review the other system events to determine if a related issue may be the cause of the Windows Installer error.
- If you cannot resolve the issue based on the information in the event log, try reinstalling the application.
Note: If Windows Installer logging is not enabled, no information will be available in Event Viewer. For more information about Windows Installer logging, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=136341.
To verify that logging is currently enabled:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Check to see whether the following registry key is present in the Registry Editor: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer.
Note: If Windows Installer logging is not enabled, no information will be available in Event Viewer. For more information about Windows Installer logging, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300.