Event ID 8211 — UNIX to Windows Password Synchronization Service Availability
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
UNIX to Windows Password Synchronization Service Availability provides information to help you interpret system messages indicating the operational state of the UNIX to Windows password synchronization service and its availability to synchronize user account passwords to the Windows environment that are changed in the UNIX environment.
When Password Synchronization is configured for UNIX to Windows synchronization, and the synchronization service is available, passwords that are changed on UNIX hosts are synchronized on Windows-based computers and domains. The Password Synchronization pluggable authentication module (PAM) makes this possible by intercepting the password change request on the UNIX host, encrypting the password, and then sending the password change request to the Password Synchronization service running on the Windows-based computers with which it is configured to be synchronized.
The UNIX to Windows Password Synchronization Service is generally available unless the Password Synchronization daemon has failed to initialize.
|Product:||Windows Identity Management for UNIX|
|Message:||Failure initializing the daemon to receive password changes. %rerror = %1|
Restart computer (Thread creation/Windows Sockets failure)
The UNIX to Windows password synchronization service has closed. This is typically the result of one or more of the following causes. The text of the error message in Event Viewer should provide the exact nature of the failure. Typically, restarting the computer on which Password Synchronization is running can correct the problem.
- Windows was unable to create a thread to receive UNIX-based password change notifications. This problem can occur when the computer is running low on virtual memory. Try restarting the computer to correct this error.
- A failure occurred while attempting to create a socket to communicate between the UNIX-based host computer and the Windows computer. This is generally a failure returned from a Windows Sockets API. The text of the error message should provide the exact nature of the Windows Sockets failure.
The UNIX to Windows password synchronization service state is considered fully operational in the absence of any of the following messages in Event Viewer. If any of the following messages are logged in Event Viewer, critical error conditions exist that are preventing the UNIX to Windows password synchronization service from operating normally.
- IDMU Password Synchronization event 8211
- IDMU Password Synchronization event 12295
- IDMU Password Synchronization event 8244
- IDMU Password Synchronization event 8213