Event ID 17 — BITS Server Configuration
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) server extends Internet Information Services (IIS) to support throttled, restartable uploads. To upload files to a server using BITS, the server must have IIS 7.0 on Windows Server 2008 and the BITS server extension ISAPI installed. The BITS server extension is a subcomponent of IIS, which is a subcomponent of Web Application Server.
To use the upload feature, create an IIS virtual directory on the server where clients can upload files. A virtual directory should be created for each type of client. BITS adds properties to the IIS metabase for the virtual directory created and uses these properties to determine how to upload the files.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Source:||BITS Server Extensions|
|Message:||An exception occurred while enabling BITS uploads for the virtual directory %3. The exception occurred while creating the directory %1. Exception :%2|
Ensure that users have the correct permissions to create a virtual directory
To resolve this issue, ensure that users have the correct permissions to create a virtual directory.
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in the local Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To ensure that users have the correct permissions to create a virtual directory:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. To open IIS Manager, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Expand the Sites node and then expand the Default Web Site node.
- Right-click Default Web Site. Click Edit Permissions.
- Click the Security tab. Click the user name in Group or user names and then click Edit.
- Grant the required permissions by selecting the appropriate check boxes under Allow. Click OK.
To verify the BITS server has been configured correctly, start the BITS console and ensure that all the properties are displayed without any errors.
To start the BITS console:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager from the Start menu: Point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Click Features at the bottom of the IIS Manager screen.
- Click BITS Uploads and check the settings.