Event ID 131 — DNS Server WINS NetBIOS Initialization
Updated: November 25, 2009
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
The NetBIOS protocol was the principal network protocol that early versions of Windows used. In conjunction with Windows Internet Name Service (WINS), NetBIOS supports a simple, nonhierarchical naming system. You can configure DNS servers and clients to support NetBIOS and WINS as a supplement to the Domain Name System (DNS) protocol.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The DNS server failed to initialize WINSR reverse lookup through NetBIOS adapter status lookup. The server will not attempt to perform WINS reverse lookups.|
Configure WINSR settings
This problem may be due to an incorrect configuration of Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) reverse (WINSR) lookup on the DNS server. The actions that you take depend on whether WINSR lookup must be supported by the DNS server. If the DNS server must support WINSR reverse lookup, restart the server, and then verify that the NetBIOS over TCP/IP configuration for TCP/IP client properties on the computer is set correctly.
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
WINSR lookup support not required
If WINSR lookup is not required, remove WINSR records from the zone, and then reload the modified zones or restart the DNS Server service.
To remove WINSR records from a zone:
- On the DNS Server, start Server Manager. To start Server Manager, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
- In the console tree, expand Roles, expand DNS Server, expand DNS, and then expand the DNS server.
- Expand Reverse Lookup Zones, and then click the zone that contains the WINSR resource record.
- In the right pane, right-click the WINSR resource record, and then click Delete.
- In the console tree, right-click the zone, and then click Reload.
If reloading the zone was not successful, restart the DNS Server service.
To restart the DNS Server service:
- In the console tree, right-click the DNS server, click All Tasks, and then click Restart.
WINSR lookup support required
To configure NetBIOS/WINS configuration for TCP/IP client properties on the computer:
- On the DNS server, click Start, click Control Panel, click Control Panel Home, and then under Network and Internet click View network status and tasks.
- Click View status for the connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click Properties, click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.
- In NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
Verify that the NetBIOS/WINS configuration for TCP/IP client properties on the computer is set correctly.
To view NetBIOS/WINS settings:
- Click Start, right-click Network, and then click Properties.
- In the Network and Sharing Center, click Manage network connections.
- In Network Connections, right-click a connection, and then click Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
- Click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.
- Verify that the WINS addresses, in order of use list contains the IP addresses for one or more WINS servers and that Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected.