Event ID 4000 — DNS Server Active Directory Integration
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
You can configure the DNS Server service to use Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to store zone data. This makes it possible for the DNS server to rely on directory replication, which enhances security, reliability, and ease of administration.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The DNS server was unable to open Active Directory. This DNS server is configured to obtain and use information from the directory for this zone and is unable to load the zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and reload the zone. The event data is the error code.|
Troubleshoot AD DS and restart the DNS Server service
The DNS Server service relies on Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to store and retrieve information for AD DS-integrated zones. This error indicates that AD DS is not responding to requests from the DNS Server service. Ensure that AD DS is functioning properly, troubleshoot any problems, and then restart the DNS Server service.
For information about troubleshooting AD DS, see Active Directory Troubleshooting Topics (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=95789).
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To restart the DNS Server service:
- On the DNS server, start Server Manager. To start Server Manager, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
- In the console tree, expand Roles, expand DNS Server, and then expand DNS.
- Right-click the DNS server, click All Tasks, and then click Restart.
If the problem continues, restart the computer and then use Server Manager to confirm that the DNS Server service has started.
To restart the computer:
- Click Start, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.
To confirm that the DNS Server service has started:
- On the DNS server, start Server Manager.
- In the console tree, expand Roles, and then click DNS Server.
The System Services list shows the state of the DNS Server service.
Ensure that Event IDs 4523 and 4524 are being logged and that no events in the range 4000 to 4019 appear in the Domain Name System (DNS) event log.