Event ID 103 — Software Installation Processing
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
The Software Installation client-side extension is responsible for installing software, applied through Group Policy, to both computers and users.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Message:||The removal of the assignment of application %1 from policy %2 failed. The error was : %%%3|
Correct a failed MSI Group Policy software installation
Possible resolutions include:
- Ensure the computer account has read file permission to the software package assigned in the Group Policy object (GPO).
- If the software package is located on a Distributed File System (DFS) share, confirm that the computer account has Read NTFS and Share permissions in all root replicas of the DFS root and on all replica shares of the DFS link. Note: Computer-assigned packages cannot install from servers located in an Active Directory forest that is different from the computer's forest.
- Ensure the user account has read file permissions to the software package that is assigned in the GPO.
- If the software package is located on a Distribute File System (DFS) share, confirm that the computer account has Read NTFS and Share permissions in all root replicas of the DFS root and on all replica shares of the DFS link.
Collect Software installation and Windows Installer debug logs
- Follow Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 249621 to enable Software installation debug logging.
- Follow Microsoft Knowledgebase Article 314852 to enable Windows Installer debug logging. Note: You may need to contact the application vendor if Windows Installer reports the error.
Group Policy Software Installation only occurs during computer startup and user logon. Software installation does not apply to computers or users during ther periodic background refresh. Therefore, you should reboot the computer or log off and log on to determine if Group Policy Software Installation is working correctly for the computer or user.
Group Policy Software Installation is working correctly if the last Group Policy Software Installation event to appear in the System event log has one of the following event IDs:
- 201- 203
- 301- 308