Event ID 23 — BITS Server Configuration
Applies To: Windows Server 2008 R2
Background Intelligent Transfer Services (BITS) server extends Internet Information Services (IIS) to support throttled, restartable uploads. To upload files to a server using BITS, the server must have IIS 7.0 on Windows Server 2008 and the BITS server extension ISAPI installed. The BITS server extension is a subcomponent of IIS, which is a subcomponent of Web Application Server.
To use the upload feature, create an IIS virtual directory on the server where clients can upload files. A virtual directory should be created for each type of client. BITS adds properties to the IIS metabase for the virtual directory created and uses these properties to determine how to upload the files.
|Product:||Windows Operating System|
|Source:||BITS Server Extensions|
|Message:||An exception occurred while enabling BITS uploads for the virtual directory %3. The exception occurred while accessing the metabase property %1. Exception: %2|
Check whether IIS is configured to access metabase properties
To resolve this issue, check whether Internet Information Services (IIS) is configured to access metabase properties.
To perform this procedure, you must have membership in the local Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.
To check whether IIS is configured to access metabase properties:
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Under IIS roles services, ensure that the IIS6 compatibility layer is installed.
- Ensure that the IIS Admin Service service is started.
If this does not resolve the issue, reinstall BITS Server.
To verify the BITS server has been configured correctly, start the BITS console and ensure that all the properties are displayed without any errors.
To start the BITS console:
- Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager from the Start menu: Point to Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Click Features at the bottom of the IIS Manager screen.
- Click BITS Uploads and check the settings.