This section provides information about installing Windows SBS 2003 R2 on a new computer and about replacing the previous operating system without saving data and settings.
Steps to Complete a New Installation
Completing a new installation of Windows SBS 2003 R2 requires the following steps:
- Use discs 1 through 5 to install Windows SBS 2003 with SP1.
- Complete the To Do List tasks.
- Use the Premium Technologies discs (if you have purchased Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium Edition) to install ISA Server 2004 with SP1 and/or SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition.
If you install ISA Server 2004 with SP1, Setup prompts you to complete the Configuring E-mail and Internet Connection Wizard even if you completed it earlier during the To Do List tasks.
- Use the R2 Technologies disc to install the Windows SBS 2003 R2 Technologies. For detailed instructions about installing the Windows SBS 2003 R2 Technologies, insert the R2 Technologies disc in a computer that is running Windows. When the Autorun page appears, click How to install.
For step-by-step instructions about completing a new installation, see Chapter 3A in "Getting Started: Windows SBS 2003 with SP1." Consider the following points as you complete your new installation of Windows SBS 2003 R2:
- During the text-mode portion of Setup, you are prompted to create a partition for the operating system. It is recommended that you create a partition of 25 GB or more. A partition size of 25 GB or more provides:
- 15 GB for installation of Windows SBS 2003 with SP1 and of the server applications, including the Windows SBS 2003 R2 Technologies.
- 10 GB for future growth of data.