User State Migration Tool 3.0
You can use Microsoft® Windows® User State Migration Tool (USMT) 3.0 to migrate user files and settings during large deployments of Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Vista® operating systems. USMT captures desktop, and application settings, as well as user accounts and users' files, and then migrates them to a new Windows installation. Using USMT can help you improve and simplify your migration process. You can use USMT for both side-by-side and wipe-and-load migrations. If you are only upgrading your operating system, USMT is not needed.
In this guide
- Quick Start Checklist
- Getting Started with USMT
- Planning Your Migration
- Automating Your Migration
- USMT Components
- Using USMT
- XML Reference
- For syntax and command-line options, see USMT Components.
- For information about what has changed in this version of USMT, see What is New in USMT 3.0.
- For answers to common questions, see Frequently Asked Questions.
- For information about the .xml files, see USMT .xml Files.
- For instructions on how to change the default migration behavior, see Using USMT.
- For more information about the XML elements, see XML Elements Reference.