ComplianceCheck checks that the following requirements are fulfilled so that Windows can be installed:
- Valid hardware configuration
- Power management disabled
- No cluster sizes of larger than 4 kilobytes (KB)
- In-box drivers available
- Product key matches available hardware. Windows Vista® Starter can be installed only on the following types of central processing unit (CPU):
- Intel Celeron and Intel Pentium III families of processors, including mobile versions but excluding the Intel Pentium III Xeon family.
- AMD Duron, AMD Sempron, and AMD Geode families of processors, including mobile versions.
- 64-bit processors work only if they belong to one of the processor families listed above. However, such processors are limited to 32-bit mode.
- No SMART failures on installation disk
- Sufficient disk space
- Valid operating system or Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)
- All run-once items have completed.
- There is no pending reboot on the computer.
It also checks that the existing operating system is one of the following:
- Windows® 2000, Service Pack 4 or later
- Windows® XP, Service Pack 2 or later
- Windows Server™ 2000, Service Pack 1 or later
- Windows Server™ 2003
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Vista
ComplianceCheck does not validate application compatibility. See the software vendor for application compatibility requirements.
The user is also warned if any of the following conditions apply (provided DisplayReport is set to OnError). Otherwise, the user must boot from installation media and perform a clean installation, instead of an upgrade.
- There are SMART failures, and no alternate disk is available.
- There is insufficient space for temporary files for Windows Setup or for total installation.
The following conditions apply to dual-boot scenarios only:
- The user is warned if a newer version of the loader is already on the destination computer.
A string that specifies in what circumstances the user interface (UI) is displayed for this item.
Microsoft-Windows-Setup | ComplianceCheck
For the list of the supported Windows editions and architectures that this component supports, see Microsoft-Windows-Setup.
The following XML output changes the
ComplianceCheck setting to run in guaranteed quiet mode.
<ComplianceCheck> <DisplayReport>Never</DisplayReport> </ComplianceCheck>