Create and apply work calendars in Project for the web
Project for the web is built on the Microsoft Power Platform, and some aspects of resource setup for Project for the web is done in Dynamics 365, including how to create a work hours template and apply it to resources.
Before you can create project schedules, you need to set up a project calendar that defines the number of working hours to accommodate per day in the schedule and any business closures. You do this with a work hours template, which contains details about work hours per day, days off, and any other business closures.
Project for the web comes with a default work template that is automatically applied to users that you assign to tasks. It specifies work hours of 9AM through 5PM from Monday through Friday. You only need to create a new work hours template if this one does not suit your needs.
You associate a work template to the project calendar to apply the schedule for the project.
There are two ways you can create a work hours template:
- Create a work hours template from the Resource page
- Create a new work hours template from the Calendar Template page
All work hours templates are based on resource calendars. Before creating a project calendar, you'll need to create a resource with the working hours you want for your project.
Both methods are done on the PowerApps Project Resources page in Dynamics 365. To go there, do the following:
- While logged into Office 365, open a browser window and go to https://
. web.powerapps .com
- On the PowerApps page, select Apps.
- On the Apps page, in the Org Apps tab, select Project.
- On the Project page, in the left pane, select Resources.
Create a work hours template from the Resource Page
- On the Resources page, select the resource you want to base your work hours on.
- Click Save Calendar As, enter a name for the work hours template, and then click Save.
- When you’re done changing options, click Save and Close.
Create a new work hours template from the Calendar Templates page
- On the Resources page, click the Projects menu on the bottom of the left pane, and then select Settings.
- On the Project Settings Parameters page, click Calendar Templates.
- On the Active Work Hour Templates page, click New.
- ON the New Work Templates page, give it a name.
- In the Template Resource field, type the name of a resource to base the work hours on.
- Click Save and Close.
- Your new work hours template will display on the Active Work Hour Templates page.
Apply a calendar to a resource
Once you’ve created a work hours template, you can assign it to resources so their calendars reflect the working hours specified in the template.
- On the Resources page, select the resources that you want to apply set the calendar for. You can select more than one resource.
- Click Set Calendar.
- In the Work Template window, click in the Work Template box to see the work templates that are available, and then select the one you want to apply.
- Click Apply.
Apply a calendar to a project
You can also choose to apply a calendar directly to a project in Project for the web. All work hours done on tasks for the project will need to be done in the times and dates specified by the selected calendar.
- In your project, click the project name to see the Project details pane.
- In Project details, click the Calendar drop-down menu and select the calendar you want to apply to the project.
If you do not see the Calendar field in Project details, this means that there is only one calendar available to choose from (for example, the default work template), so there is no option to select a different one until a new one is created.