Which Python and which version to use
There are several Python interpreters available - examples include:
- CPython - the standard and most commonly used Python interpreter
- PyPy - fast, compliant alternative implementation to CPython
- IronPython - Python interpreter that runs on .Net/CLR
- Jython - Python interpreter that runs on the Java Virtual Machine
CPython v2.7 or v3.4+ and PyPy 5.4.0 are tested and supported for the Python Azure SDK.
Where to get Python?
There are several ways to get CPython:
- Directly from Python
- From a reputable distro such as Anaconda, Enthought or ActiveState
- Build from source!
Unless you have a specific need, we recommend the first two options.
Installation with pip
You can install each Azure service's library individually:
pip install azure-batch # Install the latest Batch runtime library pip install azure-mgmt-scheduler # Install the latest Storage management library
Preview packages can be installed using the
pip install --pre azure-mgmt-compute # will install only the latest Compute Management library
You can also install a set of Azure libraries in a single line using the
pip install azure
We publish a preview version of this package, which you can access using the --pre flag:
pip install --pre azure
Install from GitHub
If you want to install
azure from source:
git clone git://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-python.git cd azure-sdk-for-python python setup.py install