Smart cards sample
Shows how to use the Windows.Devices.SmartCards API to work with smart cards and smart card readers programmatically.
Note: This sample is part of a large collection of UWP feature samples. You can download this sample as a standalone ZIP file from docs.microsoft.com, or you can download the entire collection as a single ZIP file, but be sure to unzip everything to access shared dependencies. For more info on working with the ZIP file, the samples collection, and GitHub, see Get the UWP samples from GitHub. For more samples, see the Samples portal on the Windows Dev Center.
Specifically, this sample shows:
- Creating a virtual smart card
- Changing the PIN on a virtual smart card
- Resetting the PIN on a virtual smart card
- Changing the admin key
- Verifying the response
- Deleting a virtual smart card
- Listing all the smart cards on the machine
Note: In order to create a virtual smart card using a UWP app, the user running the app must be a member of the administrators group. If the user is not a member of the administrators group, virtual smart card creation will fail.
- Windows 10
Build the sample
- If you download the samples ZIP, be sure to unzip the entire archive, not just the folder with the sample you want to build.
- Start Microsoft Visual Studio and select File > Open > Project/Solution.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+B, or select Build > Build Solution.
Run the sample
The next steps depend on whether you just want to deploy the sample or you want to both deploy and run it.
Deploying the sample
- Select Build > Deploy Solution.
Deploying and running the sample
- To debug the sample and then run it, press F5 or select Debug > Start Debugging. To run the sample without debugging, press Ctrl+F5 or selectDebug > Start Without Debugging.