Automatically categorize devices into collections
Applies to: System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)
You can create device categories, which can be used to automatically place devices in device collections when you are using Configuration Manager with Microsoft Intune. Users then have to choose a device category when they enroll a device in Intune. You can change a device category from the Configuration Manager console.
This capability works with the June 2016 release of Microsoft Intune and later. Ensure that you have been updated to this release before you try out these procedures.
Create device categories
- Go to Assets and Compliance > Overview > Device Collections.
- On the Home tab, in the Device Collections group, choose Manage Device Categories.
- Create, edit, or remove categories.
Associate a collection with a device category
When you associate a collection with a device category, all devices in that category will be added to the collection. You cannot add a device category rule to a built-in collection like All Systems.
- On the Membership Rules tab of the Properties dialog box for a device collection, choose Add Rule > Device Category Rule.
- In the Select Device Categories dialog box, select one or more device categories that will be applied to all devices in the collection.
Change the category of a device
- In Assets and Compliance > Overview > Devices, select a device from the Devices list.
- On the Home tab, in the Device group, choose Change Category.
- Choose a category, then choose OK.
View which category a device belongs to
In Assets and Compliance > Overview > Devices, in the Devices list, the category is displayed in the Device Category column.
If the Device Category column is not displayed, right-click the heading of one of the columns in the Devices list (like Name), then select Device Category.
If you assign a device to a category, and subsequently delete the category, the report List of Devices enrolled per user in Microsoft Intune will display a GUID in the Device Category column, instead of a category name.
Send feedback about: