Service windows for site servers
Applies to: System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)
You can configure service windows at central administration sites and primary sites to control when in-console updates can install. You can configure multiple windows, with the window allowed for installing updates being determined by a combination of all service windows for that site server.
When no service window is configured:
- On your top-tier site (a central administration site or stand-alone primary site) you choose when to start the update installation.
- On a child-primary site, the update automatically installs after the update completes installation at the central administration site.
- On a secondary site, updates never start automatically. Instead, you must manually start the update installation from within the console, after the parent primary site has installed the update.
When a service window is configured:
- On your top-tier site, you will not be able to start the installation of any new update from within the Configuration Manager console. Even with a service window configured, the site automatically downloads updates so they are ready to install.
- On a child-primary site, updates that have installed at a central administration site will download to the primary site, but do not automatically start. You cannot manually start the install of an update during a time that is blocked by use of a service window. At a time when service windows no longer block update installation, the update install automatically starts.
- Secondary sites do not support service windows, and do not automatically install updates. After the primary parent site of a secondary site installs an update, you can start the update of the secondary site from within the console.
To configure a service window
In Configuration Manager console open Administration > Site Configuration > Sites, and then select the site server where you want to configure a service window.
Next, edit the site servers Properties and select the Service Window tab, where you can then set one or more service windows for that site server.