Service windows for site servers
Applies to: System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch)
You can configure service windows at central administration sites and primary sites to control when in-console updates can install. You can configure multiple windows, with the window allowed for installing updates being determined by a combination of all service windows for that site server.
When no service window is configured:
- On your top-tier site (a central administration site or stand-alone primary site) you choose when to start the update installation.
- On a child-primary site, the update automatically installs after the update completes installation at the central administration site.
- On a secondary site, updates never start automatically. Instead, you must manually start the update installation from within the console, after the parent primary site has installed the update.
When a service window is configured:
- On your top-tier site, you will not be able to start the installation of any new update from within the Configuration Manager console. Even with a service window configured, the site automatically downloads updates so they are ready to install.
- On a child-primary site, updates that have installed at a central administration site will download to the primary site, but do not automatically start. You cannot manually start the install of an update during a time that is blocked by use of a service window. At a time when service windows no longer block update installation, the update install automatically starts.
- Secondary sites do not support service windows, and do not automatically install updates. After the primary parent site of a secondary site installs an update, you can start the update of the secondary site from within the console.
To configure a service window
In Configuration Manager console open Administration > Site Configuration > Sites, and then select the site server where you want to configure a service window.
Next, edit the site servers Properties and select the Service Window tab, where you can then set one or more service windows for that site server.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.