Apple School Manager integration with Intune for Education and School Data Sync
When setting up Apple School Manager for integration with Intune for Education, you may also configure Microsoft School Data Sync (SDS) to synchronize user accounts and attributes from Apple School Manager to Azure Active Directory.
Prerequisites and Setup
Complete the process and steps noted on the Enable iOS device enrollment with Apple School Manager page below before proceeding to the SDS setup for Apple School Manager sync and integration:
Create an Apple School Manager Sync Profile in SDS
Once redirected to the SDS Sync Profile Setup Wizard, you will need to create a sync profile. This sync profile will connect to your Apple School Manager instance, and attempt to match the Apple ID of your users in Apple School Manager to the UserPrincipalName of your users in Azure AD. Once matched, user attributes in Apple School Manager are synced to users in Azure AD. Follow the steps below to complete this process:
- Login with a Global Admin account if prompted for credentials.
- Once logged in, SDS will automatically connect to Apple School Manager.
- Enter a sync profile name in the text box (must be at least 3 characters).
Choose the domain suffix associated with your users in Azure AD. To match users from Apple School Manager to Azure AD, the prefix value of the AppleID (portion before the @ must match the prefix value of the Azure AD UserPrincipalName (portion before the @). The domain suffix selected in SDS must also then append to the prefix value of the AppleID, to match against the users full UserPrincipalName in Azure AD. Here is an example:
AppleID = Wendy@contoso.com
AppleID Prefix = Wendy
SDS Domain Selection = FabrikamSchools.com
UserPrincipalName in Azure AD = Wendy@FabrikamSchools.com
For the user to sync successfully:
AppleID Prefix + SDS Domain Selection = UserPrincipalName
Example Results = User is successfully synced with Apple School Manager:
Wendy + Fabrikam.com = wendy@FabrikamSchools.com
Click Create profile.
- Wait for the profile to be submitted.
- Refresh the page to ensure the profile is being setup. Profile status will become Setting up.
- Continue to refresh the page to ensure sync has started. The profile status should display one of the five sync stages of SDS.
- Continue to refresh the page to ensure sync has completed successfully.
- Review any errors associated with the sync profile. If any users failed to match, you may need to update the AppleID in Apple School Manager or the UserPrincipalName in Azure AD to ensure the identities match successfully, in accordance with the criteria defined within the SDS sync profile. SDS will attempt to match all users within Apple School Manager under this single profile.