School Data Sync (SDS) for Insights Academic Year Handling
SDS for Insights allows one incoming data flow to be active at a time per academic year. All incoming data will be associated based on a year only. Defining an academic year includes:
Academic year: YYYY value
Name for academic year: Name
When does your academic year start? : Academic Start Date
When does your academic year end? : Academic End Date
The academic year start and end date are only used to assist Education Insights to understand organizational data changes over time, especially between school year transitions.
Sync end date and academic year end dates will likely be the same. The academic year dates do not dictate the time span when data will be synchronized nor control the start and end sync schedule.
For SDS CSV V1, SDS UK CSV, Clever format CSV, OneRoster and PowerSchool, the term values aren't read and stored for use with SDS for Insights.
Academic year is used to associate incoming data to help build historical data, year over year, as time progresses.
The approach is aligned to an academic year vs calendar year.
If your academic year spans across a calendar year, for example starts 8/15/2021 and ends 6/15/2022, the academic year value to be selected is the ending year, 2022.
Academic year start date
- Academic year start date can accept a value of before today to accommodate onboarding after the school year has started.
- Academic year start date can't accept a year greater than one year prior to the selected academic year. For example, 2021 cannot accept 8/15/2019 but can accept 8/15/2020.
- Academic year start date can't accept a year greater than one year later than the selected academic year. For example, 2021 can't accept 8/15/2022 but can accept 8/15/2021.
Academic year end date
- Academic year end date can accept a value of later than today, but not before today.
- Academic year end date can't accept a year greater than one year later to the selected academic year. For example, 2021 can accept 6/15/2021, but can't accept 6/15/2022.
Sync end date
When do you want to stop updating this data?
Set to a date to stop syncing before providing data for the next academic/school year.
The sync end date can accept a value of today or later, but not before today.
The sync end date cannot accept a year greater than one year later than the selected academic year. For example, 2021 can accept 6/15/2021, but can't accept 6/15/2022.
After configuring the incoming flow to use your SDS provisioned data, enable the SDS sync profiles to which you want to share data to Insights. You'll do this within SDS by selecting or editing your sync profiles. You can then control what SDS organizational data you want to sync with Education Insights. You can also set up an SDS sync profile in preparation for the academic year without sending that organizational data over to Education Insights until they are ready.
If an SDS sync profile is enabled with data for a different academic year, and an incoming flow is still active, the data is included.
We recommend the sync end date is set to a date to stop syncing between SDS and SDS for Insights before providing data for the next academic/school year.
- If you want to update SDS for a new academic year before sending that data to Insights while the current year is still active, then you should not edit your SDS for Insights incoming data flow until ready. If you're getting ready for a new academic year, see the "preparing for a new school year" section below.
When editing an incoming flow
You cannot modify the academic year YYYY.
You can update the name, academic start date and academic end date.
You can update the sync end date.
Preparing for new school year
When ready to configure the next academic year, you'll need to start the rollover process and create a new incoming flow. This process is the same as onboarding, but you're configuring for the next academic year. For step by step, see SDS for Insights Back to School transition.