Setup and configure Log Analytics using SCOM
If SCOM is already in use and you want to use SCOM and the already installed agents, follow the steps in this section. In this configuration SCOM will either act as the gateway or it leverages the OMS Gateway itself to send data to log analytics.
The SCOM 2012 SP1 UR6 (UR7 for proxy/gateway support) or SCOM 2012 R2 UR2 (UR3 for proxy/gateway support) agent is the minimum version required to fully support log analytics functionality.
If you are using multi homing of log analytics workspaces, we would suggest that you not use the agent that comes with SCOM but use the Microsoft Monitoring Agent from Microsoft Update/log analytics workspace instead. The current Microsoft Monitoring Agent version is backwards compatible and supported with all SCOM 2012 R2/2016 management groups.
- On the SCOM Administration Console go to Administration -> Operations Management Suite -> Connection
1. Click on Register to Operations Management Suite. A login window will appear. Log in with an account that has administrative rights to connect to the log analytics workspace. Select the proper workspace (if there is more than one) and click Next. In the Confirm the settings window click on Create. 1. Go to the Log Analytics Workspace
1. From the log analytics workspace, to confirm that the Management Group is connected, go to Advanced Settings -> Connected Sources -> System Center:
Back in the SCOM Administration Console you need to opt-in the agents for log analytics/OMS:
- Go to Administration -> Operations Management Suite -> Connection
- In the right pane, click on Add a Computer/Group below Actions:
1. Select the object type (Windows Computer or Groups) and optionally leave the Filter field empty to return all objects of the type selected
Collected data from any agent that is running the scheduled task is sent back to the SCOM Management Server which in turn will upload to the log analytics/OMS Workspace
*Note: the SCOM Management Group might connect directly to the log analytics service or through the OMS Gateway. The OMS Gateway in the picture above is used for certain solutions that cannot leverage SCOM.
After setting up the data collection machine, continue getting started with On-demand Assessments by selecting the Configure Microsoft On-demand Assessments article in the Table of Contents.
For general feedback on the Resource Center or content, please submit your response to UserVoice. For specific requests and content updates regarding the Services Hub, contact our Support Team to submit a case.