Transform classic pages to modern client-side pages
Classic SharePoint sites typically have classic pages being wiki pages or web part pages and these pages cannot present themselves using a modern user interface. A classic site however can host modern client side pages and this is the solution here. After you've maximized the use of the modern list and library user interface and connected your site to an Office 365 Group transforming the pages to modern client side pages is the last task to fully transform your classic site into a modern group connected site. Get inspired by the SharePoint Look Book as it allows you to discover the modern experiences you can build with SharePoint in Office 365.
- Page transformation today works for wiki, web part pages and publishing pages. The publishing page transformation is currently in preview.
- The SharePoint PnP Modernization framework is continuously evolving, checkout the release notes to stay up to date on the latest changes. If you encounter problems please file an issue in the sp-dev-modernization GitHub issue list.
Page transformation can be used in one or more models and these models can used together:
|Model||Technique||Audience||Publishing Page support||Keep/Discard option||Comments|
|I want to transform pages for my users||PowerShell||DevOps||Yes||Optional (not for publishing pages)||Typically used when you want to modernize pages for multiple site collections. Optionally you can configure the page accept banner to be shown which then enables your end users to keep or discard the pages you've created using PowerShell|
|I want to have full control on the page transformation process||.Net||DevOps||Yes||Optional (not for publishing pages)||Typically used when you integrate page transformation into existing services or tools. Optionally you can configure the page accept banner to be shown which then enables your end users to keep or discard the pages you've created using .Net. The core of page transformation is the .Net based SharePoint PnP Modernization framework. Using .Net you can fully tailor the transformation process, this approach is recommended whenever you want full control on the transformation process or when you want to integrate page transformation into another solution/product.|
|Empower my users to transform pages||SharePoint Page Transformation UI||End user||No||Mandatory||If you want your end users to have the ability to self-service modernize pages. This approach will make it possible for end users to simply click a button to request a modern version of a page. The returned page is a preview and the end user will have the option to keep or discard the generated page.|
- Modernize your classic SharePoint sites
- Using the SharePoint Page Transformation UI
- Using SharePoint Page Transformation from PowerShell
- Using SharePoint Page Transformation from .Net
- Understanding and configuring the page transformation model
- SharePoint Look Book
- Classic and modern web part experiences