What's new for SQL Server on Linux
This article describes the major features and services available for SQL Server 2017 running on Linux.
SQL Server 2019 preview has been released. This article does not cover SQL Server 2019 preview releases. To learn about SQL Server 2019 preview, see What's new in SQL Server 2019 preview for Linux.
In addition to these capabilities in this article, cumulative updates are released at regular intervals after the GA release. These cumulative updates provide many improvements and fixes. For information about the latest CU release, see https://aka.ms/sql2017cu. For package downloads and known issues, see the Release notes.
SQL Server Database Engine
- Enabled the core SQL Server Database Engine capabilities.
- Support for native Linux paths.
- IPV6 support.
- Support for database files on NFS.
- Enabled Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption.
- Enabled Active Directory Authentication.
- Availability Groups functionality for high availability.
- Full-text Search support.
SQL Server Agent
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Ability to run SSIS packages on Linux. For more information, see Configure SQL Server Integration Services on Linux with ssis-conf.
- Command-line configuration tool, mssql-conf.
- Unattended installation support with environment variables.
- Cross-platform Visual Studio Code mssql-server extension.
- Cross-platform script generator, mssql-scripter.
- Cross-platform Dynamic Management View (DMV) monitor, DBFS tool.
To install SQL Server on Linux, use one of the following tutorials:
- Install on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Install on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- Install on Ubuntu
- Run on Docker
- Provision a SQL VM in Azure
To see other improvements introduced in SQL Server 2017, see What's New in SQL Server 2017.
For answers to frequently asked questions, see the SQL Server on Linux FAQ.
- All the ways to get help
- UserVoice - Suggestion to improve SQL Server?
- Setup and Upgrade - MSDN Forum
- SQL Server Data Tools - MSDN forum
- Transact-SQL - MSDN forum
- SQL Server Security - MSDN Forum
- DBA Stack Exchange (tag sql-server) - ask SQL Server questions
- Stack Overflow (tag sql-server) - also has some answers about SQL development
- Reddit - general discussion about SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Server License Terms and Information
- Support options for business users
- Contact Microsoft
- Edit SQL Docs
- SQL Docs Feedback
- SQL Docs Survey
Send feedback about: