THIS TOPIC APPLIES TO: SQL Server (starting with 2016)Azure SQL DatabaseAzure SQL Data Warehouse Parallel Data Warehouse
For content related to previous versions of SQL Server, see Installation for SQL Server 2014.
Documentation to help you install, configure, and use SQL Server. The content includes end-to-end examples, code samples, and videos. For SQL Server language topics, see Language Reference.
SQL Server 2017
SQL Server 2016
Try SQL Server!
- Download SQL Server 2017
- Download SQL Server 2016
- Spin up a Virtual Machine with SQL Server 2016 already installed
- [ Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Download SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
SQL Server Technologies
The Database Engine is the core service for storing, processing, and securing data. The Database Engine provides controlled access and rapid transaction processing to meet the requirements of the most demanding data consuming applications within your enterprise. The Database Engine also provides rich support for sustaining high availability.
Integration Services is a platform for building high performance data integration solutions, including packages that provide extract, transform, and load (ETL) processing for data warehousing.
Analysis Services is an analytical data platform and toolset for personal, team, and corporate business intelligence. Servers and client designers support traditional OLAP solutions, new tabular modeling solutions, as well as self-service analytics and collaboration using Power Pivot, Excel, and a SharePoint Server environment. Analysis Services also includes Data Mining so that you can uncover the patterns and relationships hidden inside large volumes of data.
Reporting Services delivers enterprise, Web-enabled reporting functionality. You can create reports that draw content from a variety of data sources, publish reports in various formats, and centrally manage security and subscriptions.
|Machine Learning Services
Microsoft Machine Learning Services supports integration of machine learning, using the popular R and Python languages, into enterprise workflows.
Machine Learning Services (In-Database) integrates R and Python with SQL Server, making it easy to build, retrain, and score models by calling stored procedures. Microsoft Machine Learning Server provides enterprise-scale support for R and Python, without requiring SQL Server.
|Data Quality Services
SQL Server Data Quality Services (DQS) provides you with a knowledge-driven data cleansing solution. DQS enables you to build a knowledge base, and then use that knowledge base to perform data correction and deduplication on your data, using both computer-assisted and interactive means. You can use cloud-based reference data services, and you can build a data management solution that integrates DQS with SQL Server Integration Services and Master Data Services.
Replication is a set of technologies for copying and distributing data and database objects from one database to another, and then synchronizing between databases to maintain consistency. By using replication, you can distribute data to different locations and to remote or mobile users by means of local and wide area networks, dial-up connections, wireless connections, and the Internet.
|Master Data Services
Master Data Services is the SQL Server solution for master data management. A solution built on Master Data Services helps ensure that reporting and analysis is based on the right information. Using Master Data Services, you create a central repository for your master data and maintain an auditable, securable record of that data as it changes over time.
Migrate and move data
- Import and Export Data with the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard
- Microsoft Data Migration Assistant
- Migrate your SQL Server database to Azure SQL Database
Earlier SQL Server versions
- Books Online for SQL Server 2014 Books Online
- Install SQL Server 2014 Express and other older SQL Server versions. (Thank you to Scott Hanselman for collecting all of the installer package links in one place!)
- SQL Server 2012 technical documentation
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Product Documentation
- SQL Server 2008 technical documentation
- SQL Server 2005 archived documentation
- Wide World Importers sample database
- AdventureWorks sample databases and scripts for SQL Server 2016
- To view SQL Server documentation offline, see Help Viewer and Offline Content for SQL Server.
- SQL Server Configuration Manager
- SQL Server Update Center - links and information for all supported versions
- Stack Overflow (tag sql-server) - ask SQL development questions
- MSDN Forums - ask technical questions
- MSDN SQL Client Tools forum
- Microsoft Connect - report bugs and request features
- Reddit - general discussion about SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Server License Terms and Information
- Support options for business users
- Contact Microsoft