Installing SSMA for DB2 client (DB2ToSQL)
The SSMA client consists of the program files that perform the following tasks:
- Connect to a DB2 database.
- Connect to an instance of SQL Server.
- Convert DB2 database objects to SQL Server syntax.
- Load the objects into SQL Server.
- Migrate data to SQL Server.
This topic provides the installation prerequisites and instructions for installing SSMA.
SSMA is designed to work with DB2 on z/OS version 9.0 and 10.0, DB2 on LUW version 9.8 and 10.1 or later versions, DB2 for i version 7.1 or greater and SQL Server 2012 or later versions.
Before you install SSMA, make sure that the computer meets the following requirements:
- Windows 7 or later versions, or Windows Server 2008 or later versions.
- Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 or later versions.
- The Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7.2 or a later version. You can obtain it from the .NET Framework Developer Center.
- Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2 version 5 or a later version, and connectivity to the DB2 databases that you want to migrate.
- Access to and sufficient permissions on the computer that hosts the target instance of SQL Server or Azure SQL Database where you will be migrating database objects and data. For more information, see Connecting to SQL Server (DB2ToSQL).
- 4 GB RAM recommended.
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2
To download the OLE DB provider for DB2 version 6.0, go to Microsoft® SQL Server® 2017 Feature Pack.
SSMA is a Web download. To download the latest version, see the SQL Server Migration Assistant download page.
To install the SSMA client:
Double-click SSMAforDB2_n.msi, where n is the build number.
On the Welcome page, select Next.
If you don't have the prerequisites installed, a message will appear indicating that you must first install required components. Make sure that you've installed all prerequisites, and then run the installation program again.
Read the End-User License Agreement. If you agree, select I accept the agreement, and then select Next.
On the Choose Setup Type page, select Typical.
On the Ready to Install page you can enable or disable telemetry and automatic update checks every time the tool starts. Click Install to start the installation.
Please uninstall all prior versions of SSMA for DB2 before installing the new version.
The default installation location is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for DB2.