How to create a dashboard with the Alert widget in the Web console
In System Center Operations Manager version 1801 and higher, the Web console provides a monitoring interface for a management group that can be opened on any computer using any browser that has connectivity to the Web console server. The following steps describe how to create a dashboard in the new HTML5 web console with the Alert widget.
Add widget to dashboard
Open a web browser on any computer and enter
http://<web host>/OperationsManager, where web host is the name of the computer hosting the web console.
From the left pane in the Web console, click + New dashboard.
On the Create New Dashboard page, provide a name and description for the dashboard you want to create.
You can save the dashboard in an existing unsealed management pack by selecting the management pack from the Management Pack drop-down list or you can save the dashboard by creating a new management pack by clicking New next to the Management Pack drop-down list and provide a name, description and optionally a version number.
When you have completed specifying where to save the new dashboard to, click OK.
Click Save after providing a name and description for the new dashboard.
On the blank empty dashboard, you see the dashboard name, Add Widget, Edit Dashboard, Delete dashboard and View in fullscreen options on the top of the page.
Select Alert Widget from the Select Widget drop-down list.
In the Alert widget pane, select scope for the alert widget by clicking either Groups or Objects. For either option selected, you can search by keyword in the list. As you begin typing, the list filters based on your input. You can select an individual group or object or multiple from the returned results.
A result set for the desired search query will be returned, select the scope from the returned results.
Set the criteria to identify the alerts to display. To narrow the results, you can filter by selecting the following:
- Resolution state
- Alert age
Data matching the defined criteria will only be displayed in the widget.
Select Display to choose the columns to be displayed in the dashboard. You can select or search for the columns from the drop-down list.
- Complete the configuration by providing a Name, Description and Widget reefresh interval (default interval is 5 minutes) for the widget. Click Save Widget to save your new dashboard.
After the widget has been created, it displays alerts based on the scope and criteria defined. You see the name of the alert widget along with the number of alerts in the header of widget. Alerts can also be filtered in the widget by searching for a keyword in the filter box.
You can view alert details consistent with the experience with the alerts view in the Operations console by clicking on an alert and drilling into it's details. In version 1807 you can modify the alert resolution state and drill down to the monitoring object details page by clicking on the alert source.
Actions on Alert widget
For one or more alerts selected in the widget, you can perform such actions as:
- Change resolution state while viewing the details of a particular alert or for one or more alerts selected in the widget.
- Export the alerts to Excel for further analysis
- Modify how the alerts are presented by including or excluding columns, how to group alerts, customized to your personal needs
To perform these actions, hover your mouse over the widget and click on the ellipse ... on the top right corner of the widget. This will display actions available for the widget.
- Select Set resolution state and select one or multiple alerts by clicking on the checkbox in the first column on the left, for each alert resolution state you are going to change. Select the resolution state from the drop-down list and click Save.
- Select Export to Excel to export the alert data to an Excel file.
- Select Personalize to change your selection of columns to be displayed or to group alerts. Click Save personalization when you have completed making your changes.
To learn how to create a dashboard in the new web console with the Performance widget, see How create a dashboard with the Performance widget in the Web console.