Add storage devices to the VMM fabric
This version of Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) has reached the end of support, we recommend you to upgrade to VMM 2019.
To manage storage in System Center - Virtual Machine Manager (VMM), you discover and add it to the VMM storage fabric.
Before you start
Make sure that the storage device is supported before you add it.
Add a storage device
- Click Fabric > Storage > Add Resources >Storage Devices.
- In Add Storage Devices Wizard > Select Provider Type, select to add a storage device with SMI-S or SMP, according to the device you're using.
- In Specify Discovery Scope:
- If you're using SMI-S, specify whether the provider uses SMI-S CIMXML or SMI-S WMI WMI, add the IP address/FQDN, and add the port used to connect to the provider on the remote server. You can enable SSL if you're using CIMXML. Then specify an account for connecting to the provider.
- If you're using SMP, select the provider from the list. If it isn't in the list click Import to refresh it.
- In Gather Information, VMM automatically tries to discover and import the storage device information. To retry click Scan Provider.
- If you selected the option to use an SSL connection for an SMI-S provider, note that:
- During discovery, the Import Certificate dialog box appears. Check settings and click Import. By default the certificate common name (CN) will be verified. This might cause storage discovery to fail if there's no CN, or it doesn't match.
- If discovery fails because of the CN, disable CN verification in the registry on the VMM server. In the registry go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Storage Management/ and create a new DWORD value - DisableHttpsCommonNameCheck. Set the value to 1.
- If the discovery process succeeds, the discovered storage arrays, storage pools, manufacturer, model, and capacity are listed on the page. When the process finishes, click Next.
- In Select Storage Devices, you can specify a classification for each storage pool. Storage classifications group storage pools with similar characteristics together so that you can assign a classification as storage for a host or cluster, rather than a specific storage device. Learn more about setting up classifications.
- On the Summary page, confirm the settings, and then click Finish. The Jobs dialog box appears. When status is Completed you can verify the storage in Fabric > Storage.