Viewing logs in Visual Studio for Mac
Logs can be found by browsing to the Help > Open Log Directory menu item, as illustrated below:
When an exception has been caught, an exception bubble will appear. To view more details, select the View Details button:
This will display the Show Details dialog, providing more information regarding the exception:
Important sections of the dialog, which are numbered above are described in detail below:
- The exception type, which shows the full name of the exception type that is being observed.
- The exception message, which shows the value of the Message property of the exception object.
- The Inner exception type, which shows the full name of the exception type for the currently selected exception in the Inner exception tree view.
- The Inner exception message, shows the value of the Message property of the selected exception in Inner exception tree view.
- Stacktrace view. This can be collapsed via a disclosure arrow and contains stack frames entries.
- Example of non-user code entries.
- Example of user code entries.
- Properties view, which shows all properties and fields of the exception. This can be collapsed via a disclosure arrow.
- Inner exception tree view. Select inner exceptions in this view via keyboard up/down arrows or with the mouse or trackpad.
- By default, this is set to what the Debug project code only option in debugger settings is set to. Selecting this box will enable all non-user code to collapse into one line in the stacktrace.
- A copy button to copy the
exception.ToString()output to clipboard.
Note that some of these sections will only be visible when exception has an inner exception.